1. Diversity.And of course he goes into tools that support and encourage these principles. All this leads to a new world: "from the world of "to" and "for" to the world of "with" and "by"."
2. New and easy ways to allow people to contribute.
3. Ways to connect people together and to build on one-another.
4. A shared sense of purpose and some individual sense of payoff, that they're getting something in return as they're contributing to something larger.
5. Usually there is a core or kernel that's put there to begin with (the initial Linux software for ex)
6. Structure: these communities won't work unless they can make decisions, so they need to have some elements of structure (think Wikipedia).
'U Guessed It' Rap Lyrics Keep Popping Up in Hilarious Vines
47 minutes ago