Intranet as digital workplace by @markmorrell #intra13
- work from any location or while mobile
- have the same or similar online experience
- collaborate, search, and complete tasks online
- choose what tools you can use to do this
- feel comfortable whenever you are using
- feel comfortable whenever you are using it
- be confident you can use it when you need to
- have a better work/life balance
The real difference between the intranet and the digital workplace is that you can get work done with a digital workplace. It's not just a content and publication platform, but a place where you can get work done. It's collaborative, it's task-focused.
So, how do you develop a digital workplace strategy? Mark shares several points with us:
- it should align with your other strategies
- is wider than an intranet strategy
- is for the short, medium, and long term
- has a governance framework (Mark: 'everything should be managed')
- people who will create, support, and make it happen ('this is the hardest part', says Mark)
What steps can be made to work towards the digital workplace:
- develop a proposal for a digital workplace
- show the benefits to be gained
- get it approved...... and funded!
- have a steering group (focus on strategy, not implementation with them)
- agree on roles and responsibilities
- have standards, training, guidance (e.g. with vid- or podcasts)
- coordinate IT, HR and property management
During the workshop the participants worked on these steps and shared their approaches.
Mark blogs quite a lot about the benefits of digital workplace strategy. He shared some benefits during the workshop, such as:
- shared performance objectives reduce risk of conflicting priorities
- help decide top priorities to implement
Benefits of digital workplace are:
- BT employees took fewer sick days and were 20% more productive
- a study by the Emerald group at BT showed their work-life balance improved, even though they worked longer hours
- the BT Agile Worker program save 6000 pounds per worker
Mark also pointed to reports from other companies about the benefits they are getting from the digital workplace.